Marriage/Civil Union Licenses

Where to Apply

Both parties must appear in the office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Office of the Boone County Clerk
1212 Logan Avenue, Suite 103
Belvidere, IL 61008



The fee for a license is $30.00 cash.  Checks and credit/debit cards are not accepted. 


To obtain a license, both parties must :

  • Be at least 18 years of age, or
  • If under 18 and not younger than 16 years of age, must have parents' consent (requires parents to be present to sign).
  • If a previous marriage/civil union ended in divorce, dissolution, or annulment you will need to bring paperwork with the Judge's signature.
  • If previous marriage/civil union ended in death, you will need to know the date of death, county, and state in which the death occured.


Photo ID, such as a driver's license, is required for both parties.  If 21 years of age or younger, a birth certificate is required along with the photo ID.

Medical Examination

The State of Illinois does not require a medical examination.


Non-residents CANNOT obtain a marriage/civil union license if the said marriage would be void in their state.


Marriage/civil union licenses are valid after a one day waiting period and then it is good for 60 days. Persons obtaining a license in Boone County must have the ceremony occur in Boone County.  If wanting to get married by a Judge at the Courthouse call the Boone County Circuit Clerk's office at 815-544-0371 or visit the Boone County Circuit Clerk webpage for information.